Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Jang Geunsuk performs in front of 45,000 fans at the Tokyo Dome

Sources: Financial News, Hankyung.com, Soompi, Nocut News
Credit : koreaboo.com


On November 26th, Jang Geunsuk took the stage in front of 45,000 fans at the Tokyo Dome, where he held his concert, "2011 The CRI Show in Tokyo Dome -- The Beginning"

Performing at the Tokyo Dome is considered very prestigious, and Jang's appearance there represents his progress in Japan since his first fanmeeting in 2008, which attracted only 2,000 spectators. Korean news sites have nicknamed him "Geun-jjang" (a play on the word "jjang" which can describe a successful person or be used as a motivational word) and remarked that he has earned his self-proclaimed title of "Asia's Prince".

At the concert, Jang wore a blond wig, appeared in a carriage, and wore princely outfits, playing up the nickname he has adopted. The title of the concert reflects him looking to the future and his soon-to-come 20th debut anniversary; he spent over $4.8 million USD and used two 20-meter cranes to heighten the experience for fans.

At an interview at the Ginza K Palace, he said, "I'm holding my very own concert at the Tokyo Dome three years after holding my very first fan meet in Japan in 2008. I've always loved Japanese modern rock since I was little and it's been my dream since middle school to perform at the Tokyo Dome. It feels invigorating to have finally made it."

He then explained the concept of the concert, saying, "The point of my concert is to show my dream of becoming a prince and the castle I wish to live in, and the actualization of that dream. I planned a show that I could enjoy with all of my fans. I have a bit of a sadist personality, where I find joy in messing with others...[laughs]. I don't think Japan has seen such a character yet. As long as it doesn't interfere with others, I just want to have fun and be honest. Being forced to do something I don't want to do doesn't sit well with me."

The concert consisted only of Jang's discography, and he commented, "I only have songs that I personally sang in the line-up because as an artist, I think it's important to sing your own songs." He also spoke briefly about his day-to-day routine. "The two days a week that I go to school I consider my rest period," he said. "It's hard to distribute my time, but I plan to just concentrate on my drama or concerts and rest where I can. I get IV drips about once a week to keep my health up."

In the future, Jang wants to hold a dinner show tour in Korea to commemorate his 20th anniversary. "...I'm not enjoying my position as a Hallyu star, but rather just my life. I hate being content or safe, and my dream is to become Asia's prince, and later, a world prince. I'm just in the process of spreading out into the world."





No comments:

Post a Comment